Sunday, April 15, 2007

Aquarium Store Life

I currently work in an aquarium store*, where I have a variety of duties. The saltwater department is entirely my responsibility, due to my experience, but I am involved with every other aspect of the store as well.

This is the sixth such store at which I've been employed. It is, thus far, the best one. High end fish, big tanks, and good products--the store owner does not blink at making sure we have the best and brightest in the region.

Prior to this job, I had worked at a museum, where I was the aquarist. I took care of a river exhibit and worked in the animal room, which was full of reptiles. I loved the work, but it was a difficult social environment. I don't enjoy playing cliquish games and insincere, backhanded compliments. I got out of there before I lost my mind, but it hurt terribly to leave behind the creatures I loved.

I have a sizeable menagerie at home. Many snakes, a few turtles, several felines, and a silly little pac-man frog named Blinky. Blinky lives on my desk, and he's watching me right now.

I don't know if I'll have anything interesting to say, but I'll give it my best shot.

*This status has changed as of May 3, 2007. I am currently doing part time work cleaning aquariums when my health permits.

No comments: