Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Interesting quote from David Byrne

I think it’s not surprising that the values and public behaviors of the upper classes became considered more moral, refined, stimulating and well, high class — being the upper class, or wealthy or powerful you would want to give that impression — except for fox hunting? Fox hunting too. We know that hunting fox, peacock and small game became something the nouveau riche adopted too. The morals of the upper classes are probably no better or worse than your average double wide inhabitant, but somehow most people believe that attending the opera and drinking fine wines makes you a better person. It does not. Living in a double wide does not make you a lesser person either, though financial pressures would be more acute.


Source

David Byrne is one of the few non-goth artists I like who is either:
1. alive or
2. still making music

He's BOTH, in fact, which makes him really, really cool. Don't die anytime soon, will you David? You're one of the few artists I listen to without getting depressed. Yeah, I know, the 90's grunge kick I was on was entirely my own fault, but how was I to know half the bands I liked would have their frontmen dying of heroin use and/or its consequences? Why couldn't they have just smoked pot?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

but somehow most people believe that attending the opera and drinking fine wines makes you a better person. It does not.

I grew up in an opera house, and i can totally vouch for that statement. Don't get me wrong: there's a lot of really nice people in Opera. But WOW, i've seen and heard some wacky things and stories. lol.

I've spend some time on both sides of this sort of fence. The rich think that money = morals. The not-rich thing that money = corruption. It's kind of interesting to watch. There's good and bad people in all walks of life, in all the various layers of wealth (or lack thereof).

But the rich are, in many ways, more visible to the poor than vice versa.