Thursday, May 17, 2007

I can't fit into your genes, and that's OKAY.

A study shows that fat people who diet themselves thin and stay that way exist in a permanent state of physical and psychological starvation. Would YOU want to live like that? Well, neither do I. If you are genetically predisposed to be thin, it doesn't make you a better person than I am.

Do you think the day will come when we decide that being dark-skinned is morally superior, so everyone goes out and scorches themselves to a leathery crisp in the sunlight? And that those who are genetically predisposed to have dark skin will call pale-skinned people "weak-willed" for not wanting to fry themselves? After all, melanin has some protective qualities, so we all need to become as dark as possible, right? Yeah, right.

2 comments:

joy said...

Did I write back to tell you how I found you? I'm not sure, exactly...I'm something of a blog junky, myself...I surf technorati for things related to addiction or heroin or women or writing...and sometimes I just scroll through blogger, looking for interesting stuff...

I'm enjoying the blog, though, and thanks for the link!

Rachel said...

If those same morally (and physically) "superior" people were to substitute race instead of obesity, they'd be labeled as racists and shunned by most of modern society. But because fat is viewed as a character flaw, it's okay to discriminate against fat people. This galls me to no end.